Hello, reader! If you don’t already know, my name is Mary Madeline. I am an curly-haired atypical twenty-year-old girl seeking an authentic Jesus in this hectic and modern age. My name is often marked by thoughts of braids with scrunchies, standing on chairs, random dancing and singing, as well as rants about racial reconciliation and elderly people. Some of my favorite things to do are swim, travel, blog, play guitar, solve trig equations, teach people to play Filipino poker, and rant about food. I’m definitely Taylor Swift’s, Jenny and Tyler’s, the Oh Hello’s, and Katie Davis’s biggest fan. I also love singing in the shower (anywhere really), doing silly shenanigans with Gib, and attempting to talk politics (because they matter but I’m not totally politically literate).
Just a few other random facts about my life:
- The Mississippi Delta, the birthplace of the blues and Koolaid pickles, is also my birthplace and where I call home.
- I am a student at Mississippi State University, where I study nutrition in hopes of graduating and heading to a physician assistant degree program.
- I love, love, love RUF (Reformed University Fellowship), and it’s where I’ve formed the closest and most rewarding relationships in college.
- I am a graduate of the Mississippi School for Mathematics and Science, which is a public boarding school. Ironically, I began a love affair with the humanities and journalism while I was there, but I am still pursing degree in medicine while keeping up this blog on the side. Before that, I attended both public and private schools.
- I am currently pursing the vegetarian lifestyle and have been for about three months now, but I woke up dreaming about chicken the other night. So we will see where this leads.
- I LOVE TRAVELING! So far, I’ve been to seven countries. Two of those (the Philippines and Japan) were on a mission trip. The other five (Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, England, and Ireland) were on a backpacking extravaganza with my best friend. Email me for tips and tricks on traveling cheaply as a student!
- I grew up in the Presbyterian Church of America, which is a reformed denomination. For a while I struggled with (and even disclaimed parts of) reformed theology, but I do now consider myself reformed.
If you want to know about my sweet family:
My mom – (Renee) often found dancing to eights music and calling my name to rub her feet.
My dad – (Mack) often found fixing things, snuggling our cat while watching cat videos, and buying Christmas lights during July.
Gib – my coordinated, fifteen-year-old brother who is always attempting to make me play Call of Duty, jump off the roof, burn something, or hurt myself in some other thrilling way.
Duke – my yellow lab who enjoys licking my toes and any other visible skin on my body but I will readily defend his case when meanies call him fat
Nate – My old-man skinny cat with a tiny little pudge. He loves pawing my face, sticking his tongue out at any and every one, and staring at me for endless hours to earn my love.
I also have sweet friends that it would take a lifetime to list them and describe to you how absolutely much I adore them. So I will refrain for now until they become less fantastic so the list will be shorter of all the reasons they should be adored.
If you have any questions about life, theology, how to set up a blog, why I’m trying to be a vegetarian, how to travel cheaply as a student, what boarding school is like, Taylor Swift’s new album, or you want cute pictures of my pets, or anything else, feel free to email me at email@example.com! Emails from my readers are my absolute favorite, and I will try to make haste with my responses.